Monday, November 17, 2008

Words! Words! Words! (and a few free images)


Everyone's blogs are about words lately! Not only Haikus; Donna Cook has a great blog post - that I will partially relate here - about Six Words to Inspire a Nation and Judy Wilkenfeld posts LK Ludwig's Day of Sharing Words invitation - that I will partially relate here.

Free Images
Also, since all my artwork is still in progress, I decided to post some images that you may copy freely. Theoretically if you click on each image you will get it at full size and then you can right click and copy it. I say theoretically because blogspot and I have a troubled past when it comes to images. Tonight, when I first uploaded these pics, I uploaded all in one bunch - and blogspot told me my images had been uploaded. And yet when I came back to the post writing page there was not one image. Who knows where they went? I ended up having to upload each pic individually.


Haikus

I will start with today's Haikus - belatedly, I admit. It was nice outside on Sunday so we did a bunch of winterizing around the yard all day. By Sunday night (when I would normally do this post) I was so exhausted, stiff, and in pain that I fell fast asleep on the couch. Oops! So here I am at 11:42pm turning Haiku Monday into Haiku Tuesday! I may have to rethink this weekly thing...



The subject this time was "Change"

First, the beautiful and fabulous Teresa from Attic Rat, some of you may know her as Cedar Junction:

change is good
if it improves your situation
otherwise it bites

From the amazing and prolific Kayce at World of Whimm:

boy in pajamas
seconds before the bus leaves
calmly reading books

kids are playing well
errands to run before five
driving screaming kids

(these made me laugh, they totally remind me of my life)

from me:

For once it's welcome.
Change is gonna come to me
And I'm not hiding

and

Where have those keys gone?
I was getting organized!
Some things don't change much.

and

Discarded, unloved;
Craft beauty from dirty junk
And proclaim it art




In light of the next 2 subjects about words, I'm going to officially declare the topic for Haiku #3 to be Inspiration.


Six Words to Inpire a Nation
"Seek Justice, Love Kindness, Walk Humbly"


SMITH Magazine and the National Constitution Center ask you to help President-elect Obama inspire America.


In six words, give him guidance. Or offer ideas for his inaugural address. Or share six memorable words for January 20th and beyond.


In six words, a President can say a lot: "Malice toward none, charity for all," "Nothing to fear but fear itself," "Like a thousand points of light."


So give your speechwriting a try. Submit your words before January 5, 2009





A Day of Sharing Words
(From Judy Wilkenfeld at Red Velvet Creations)

LK Ludwig is hosting this day of sharing words. Here's what it's all about...

The idea:
We have words that touch us, move into our hearts and resonate, creating a feeling, taking us some place- past, present, future- perhaps some place we have never been and may never go, but for whatever reasons, the words pulse in our blood. Meeting new words, new poets, new poems, new ways for my heart to beat, is an intruiging concept. Want to go on this adventure with me? It will be easy to travel along.Many of us already do this sharing; this idea is just to help us find each other and hear the words we have to share.

The Date:
Wednesday, November 19.

The Plan:
On your blog, post a poem that moves inside you, touches you, reaches you. (quotes and song lyrics welcome). Include the author (or composer or musician) and source (book, album)- perhaps also the amazon link if there is one. no explanation required, no other revelation necessary.

One last thing:
Perhaps add an image. a photo. a video. a painting. a collage., if you would. Come here to this post. Add a comment with your link.I'll create a typepad page with the links, so others can hear the rhythm of the words, see the image and share in the experience.The Request: If you are intrigued enough, post on your blog about this Day of Sharing Words- encourage your friends to post.

Who couldn't use a few new poems in their treasury or new songs in their hearts?



So I think I'm going to try these two things. I have a little idea for both of them. I'll reserve my poem, etc., for Wednesday; but I'll share my six words now.

(Fair warning: mildly political - but non partisan - opinion to follow)

I'm not sure how inspirational they are for the nation, they're more in the "guidance" category. I feel pretty strongly about this.

"Always remember America is your boss."

I feel like that's a fact that most elected officials seem to forget. In my mind, it doesn't matter how powerful the office makes you, America pays your salary. You still work for me - and my neighbor Laverne - and my 93yo grandfather. Yes, it's a pain in the a** to work for us because we all have different agendas and we're all pretty demanding - but we still pay your salary. Sometimes trying to accomodate the most bosses possible is going to inconvenience you and some of your friends - but that's part of the job. Sometimes trying to accomodate the most bosses possible is going to really pi** off some of the others - taking those lumps is also part of the job. And we still pay your salary. A good employee does not lie to, cheat, or steal from his boss. In return we give you your power - and pay your salary.

(stepping off soapbox now)

One last Haiku...

Change. It is coming.
I don't know what it's bringing,
But it comes gift-wrapped.


Remember, next Haiku topic (#3) is Inspiration.

3 comments:

slommler said...

The song fills my soul
wonderful thoughts fill my head
You move me sweet friend.

My Haiku for this day! And I say here here to your soap box speech. I loved it. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such wonderful comments. Pam brought some pumpkin bread for me and you are welcome to stop by again and have some. Coffee is always on.

Hugs
SueAnn

HeArt Collective said...

you inspire me, laurie. thank you!
xoxo
jul

Kayce said...

I've chosen you for a blog award... check it out!

http://www.worldofwhimm.blogspot.com/